Thursday, March 1, 2018

One -pagers

One-pagers is a new idea that is growing in popularity. But what are they? One-pagers are a single page of sketchnotes used to represent important ideas. So then what are sketchnotes? Sketchnotes are purposeful drawings.

I had never heard of one-pagers before reading this article. I love the idea of allowing students to use pictures and text to summarize a book, discuss the theme of a book, or share a character's point of view. One-pagers encourage critical thinking and creativity as students decide what they are going to design to display their message in just one page.
One-pagers are a great idea for ELL students. ELL students can use pictures they create to convey a message. This is a good way for ELL students to show their understanding when their writing skills might be developing.
Reading this article really got my wheels turning. As the computer teacher, I immediately began to think about how we could create one-pagers using technology. Students could create one-pagers using Google Drawings and Google Docs instead of paper. Using Google Docs would allow students to take things a step further and include hyperlinks. ELL students could draw their pictures and then record themselves explaining different parts of a story. Students could then link their own voice to their own pictures.  Creating one-pagers using Google Docs opens the door to endless possibilities.

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer,

    I love the ideas of having the students summarize a story or their learning in one page. I like it even better that the whole page doesn't have to be writing. The student examples make it look even more exciting. I agree that having ELs use this to summarize a story would be so much easier than having to write a one page summary. Now the students can draw pictures and labels in order to express their understanding. It helps "level the playing field." I also like your idea of incorporate technology by having the students create the one pager using a Google product. So fun.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer,
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful strategy for ELLs, and identifying technological ways to incorporate it. My ELLs almost always draw pictures to answer questions. I allow them to draw the picture, but they must also write as much as they can in English explaining their drawing. I also allow them to use Spanish words if they don't know the English word. I then look up the English word for the Spanish word they used and help them recognize the English translation. The students are drawing less and writing more as time goes on. This is a great strategy for our level 1-2 ELLs! And, now that I can check into technology that they can use to complete it, they may find it more engaging and exciting! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer,
    I love this! This allows students to be creative and I am all for that. I think children need time to express themselves and it helps them learn more about themselves and their peers. Google Docs would be a great way to share these and have students give each other feedback. I absolutely love that you are going to use this in your classroom! Your students will really enjoy this!

    Thanks for sharing,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete